Sunday, July 17, 2011

saturday july 16 th 2011 A promise kept.

This blog is for the memory of Dad

These are  pictures of wolf creek pass that I took yesterday while full filling my promise to Dad. He was a over the road truck driver for allot of years and one of the most frequent roads that he talked about was wolf creek pass. One day he told me that he want me to take some of his ashes there and put them on top.  He never really explained why he wanted them up there but from a story he told I believe that just maybe he felt like he had cheated death there. He blew a air line coming down the mountain one time and he said that he did not know how he ever got the truck stopped but he did.  Maybe in was fate saying that it wasn't his time or just plain dumb luck lol    I don't know.

,

this is the spot that I put dads ashes, behind these flowers looking out over the mountain and road. There are pull off places on either side of the road for putting tire chains on.  His spot is on the west side of the road looking east towards home.

This is the view towards pagosa springs


This truck pulled in right after I put dad in his spot, I had been thinking that it would be cool to see a truck and to get him to honk his air horn and what do you now, here was one here now so I walked over and introduced myself and asked him for a favor. He looked at me for a sec with a look of oh crap what now. but when I explained to him about dad and his wish, and the favor I wanted from him he smiled and shook my hand , told me that he would willingly blow his air horn in dads honor.  So when he got back into his truck he blew his air horn three long times and took off down the road with a wave and a smile back at us.  Thank you Anthony for everything.  Isn't it funny how things happen at certain times?  Just like the next picture.

as I was talking to Anthony the truck driver I heard a bunch of Harley's pull up on the other side of the road. When Anthony blew the air horn all the riders turned and looked at him like what the heck.  Then one of the riders said Okay boys, here we go and turned his radio up with one of dads favorite songs, Wolf creek pass.   Like I said earlier, coincidence fate or what ever you want to call it or say about it. It all hit home pretty hard.    i don't think I could have planned it any better if I had tried to give dad this kind of send off.  Dad and I had planned on riding out here to wolf creek pass on our motorcycles, but he passed away before we could.   We had put it off till the next summer because we thought it would be better.    Don't wait for tomorrow people, sometimes it doesn't come around....  

the pics don't do it justice and the pics I wanted to take I couldn't because I had to keep my eyes on the road!!  lol

pretty awesome i think

you can see the switch backs in several places in this pic.

this is dad :O)  took this picture while we we're going down the road to little sturgis Kentucky.  About this time all he wanted was a container of monkey butt powder lol  
  
Rest in peace Dad, we all miss you  and love you very much.

3 comments:

  1. I sit here with tears streaming down my face. <3

    What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it. You didn't have to and I feel honored that you did.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. milt, you know your dad is with you at all times and is very proud of the man you are. thanks for making me cry. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. can someone pass the tissues? what i lovely blog post! thank you for sharing this wonderful story about Stinky. i feel very blessed that charlie ann got to me him and remembers him. he could always put a smile on you face.

    ReplyDelete